We’ve put together the most important 2020 digital statistics that every business owner should know. Our 2020 post shows that web use, social media, and mobile platforms are increasingly popular tools for people all over the world.
Why is it important to know?
You might think that these statistics and facts are just random pieces of trivia that don’t come into play in your everyday life, but if you’re a business owner - no matter your size - these facts play a more prominent role in your business and revenue than ever.
We’ve told readers of our blog many times that a good website leads to more sales. No website, no online sales. In fact, 80% of people research a business online before making a purchase or even considering going to the store - the physical store, not just the online store. Without a website, the people browsing for services like yours will find another offer than yours.
Besides that, a website makes your business more credible and provides you with 24/7 coverage because unlike your physical store, your website is always on.
2020 internet stats wrapped up
The internet has transformed consumerism and with it, marketing. And as this post will show, the popularity of various platforms is still growing.
- There are 7.8 billion people in the world
- 4.66 billion of them are active internet users
- 4.14 billion of those use social media now
- Less than 200 million websites are active
- 4.57 billion people worldwide use the internet
- Facebook is the most popular social media platform with 2.7 billion active users
- YouTube is the second most popular social media platform with 2 billion active users
- More than 3.5 billion Google searches per day
- More than 36% of businesses still don’t have a website
- There are 5.15 billion unique mobile users
- About half of the global e-commerce revenue comes from mobile sources
What to do with the data
Small business owners sometimes feel they don’t need a website or that it takes too much work and money to keep it up and running. However, as these stats clearly show, it’s a requirement in this day and age to have an online platform.
Here’s what you can do to take advantage of the many web users today:
- Build a website if you don’t already have one
- Secure a domain name
- Set up Google My Business to make it easier for people to find you on Google
- Make a webshop too if you sell actual products
- Set up a contact form or email related to your business
- Start advertising online
These easy steps could take no more than a few hours to complete if you find the right tools and platforms that make the process hassle-free and simple for you.
Go online and reap the rewards
Just a year ago, in 2019, there were 4.39 billion active internet users in the world, which was an increase of 9% compared to 2018. The internet is going through constant changes but one thing remains the same: It can’t be ignored as a business opportunity and tool for growth. It’s clearer than ever that serious businesses have to keep up with the technologies and make sure they establish a successful online presence in order to keep up with people’s expectations.
Ready to take your business online? Cobiro offers a free website builder, free domains, and easy ad flows where you’re always in total control of content and spending.